This creamy, comforting dish is 100 percent grain, gluten and dairy-free, which you’ll find hard to believe when you dig into it. Remember to come up for air as you enjoy this tasty noodle dinner with zero guilt!
The noodles used here are Banza Rotini made from Chickpeas. These have twice the protein, twice the fiber and half the carbs of traditional wheat noodles! What’s really cool is that by making swaps like this in your cooking, your family gets healthier and more fit without ever realizing that you’re feeding them something that’s good-for-them. Sneaky, sneaky!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
½ teaspoon onion powder, divided
½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
½ teaspoon sweet paprika, divided
½ teaspoon dried basil, divided
½ teaspoon dried thyme, divided
1 Lemon, juiced and zested
2 cups Mushrooms, sliced
1 (8oz) box Banza Rotini made from Chickpeas (or 5 zucchini turned into noodles with a veggie peeler)
2 heads Broccoli, chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 can (13.66oz) coconut milk, full fat
½ cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mirin OR white wine
1.Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, until soft.
2. Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
3. Measure out the spices, dividing into two small bowls.
4. Combine the chicken pieces with half of the spices and the juice and zest from the lemon. Mix well until all of the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
5. Add the chicken to the onions in the skillet and cook for another 10 minutes, until all of the pink is gone from the center of the chicken pieces. Add the mushroom and cook for another 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken mixture to a plate, cover and set aside.
6. Bring 8 cups of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the Banza noodles and stir immediately. After 5 minutes, add in the broccoli. Boil for another 4 minutes, then drain the noodles and broccoli.
7. In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Whisk in the coconut flour and continue to whisk until browned. Add the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, Dijon, mirin (or white wine), and the remainder of the spices. Whisk frequently until the sauce begins to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue whisking for 5 minutes, as the sauce thickens.
8. Add the chicken, veggies and noodles to the sauce and mix well. Cook until warmed through. Serve immediately and enjoy!
One serving equals: 499 calories, 24g fat, 431mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 5g sugar and 46g protein.